Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Gas Safety Week

My blog has grown from initially being a beauty-focused blog, to a blog which focuses on lots of other topics too, mainly lifestyle. Safety in the home is so important, so when I was informed Gas Safety Week was coming up (September 14th - 20th) - and also the fact that the cold weather is upon us and it is time for many of us to turn on our boilers, I thought it would be useful to share some facts and information on the importance of gas safety in the home.

Every Year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die. Small children and the elderly are most at risk. CORGI Home Plan is campaigning for every home to get a carbon monoxide detector, so that they can keep their family safe. As carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless toxic flammable gas, we are unable to detect it well ourselves. Carbon Monoxide can be inhaled easily which can be fatal or cause long-term health problems. Corgi Home Plan state that "The most common cause of a carbon monoxide leak is from incorrectly installed or poorly maintained household appliances – such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers. A blocked flue or chimney can also cause carbon monoxide levels to rise to lethal concentrations in an enclosed space." Our health is so important, so I feel carbon monoxide detectors are extremely important and useful to have in the home. 

There are several warning signs in your home that could mean you have a carbon monoxide issue:
  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
  • Dark staining around or on appliances
  • Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or the cover of gas fires
  • Pilot lights that frequently go out
  • Increased condensation inside windows
Corgi Home Plan have kindly sent me a carbon monoxide alarm, they are available to buy online at Amazon and plenty of other places. Corgi Home Plan have recently posted a useful guide on their blog on how to keep your home safe, which you can read here.

*Collaborative post*

No comments:

Post a Comment